Re: The future of pgAdmin II...

From: "Matthew M(dot)" <initri(at)initri(dot)com>
To: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The future of pgAdmin II...
Date: 2002-03-27 21:58:54
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave,

If there's one motto I've learned over the years.. "If it ain't broke,
don't fix it." Why move to VB.NET (C#, VB.NET, etc.) in the first place?
What new features and performances increases are going to be made
available over the VB6 implementation of it ? I spent hundreds of dollars
on Visual Studio 6, and have no intention of upgrading to VB.NET, because
of cost concerns, and I'm sure there are many other developers that feel
the same way.

Perhaps in a few years it might really take off, but why lose the
prospective
developers that might join the project, that don't have VB.NET ? A lot of
people have VB6 now, as it is, and know how to use it. You'd possibly be
excluding an area of expertise, and developers that can't code in .NET.

Again though, why the extra work to convert it, re-test everything, when
there is already a working project, that anyone can jump in and modify if
they need to ? It just seems like reinventing the wheel, when there is
already something that works well. Why spend the extra development time
on a new .NET version, when you could be spending that time adding new
features and maturing the current version(s) ?

My two cents :)

Thanks,

- Matthew