pg_dump problem

From: "Oakley " <oakerz(at)eudoramail(dot)com>
Subject: pg_dump problem
Date: 2000-07-27 14:53:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Using postgres 7.0.2, I am trying to dump my database for archiving the current setup and information that is in it. (surprise there huh?) and when I try:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -u dbname > /some_directory/dbname.dump

it wont work! It doesnt prompt me for username and passwd or anything, and still creates the dbname.dump file in the specified directory, but it has "0" size and I never return to prompt unless I hit Ctrl-C. If I leave off the redirect and have it print to STDOUT, no problems...

I have done it as myself, as I read in the docs, since the database I am trying to dump has the same name as me, but it still wont work. I have tried to do it as root *and* as postgres - neither of those work either. What exactly am I doing wrong here?

Thanks