Re: pg_dump problem

From: Andrew Sullivan <sullivana(at)bpl(dot)on(dot)ca>
To: user Postgresql ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump problem
Date: 2000-07-27 16:00:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 09:53:45AM -0500, Oakley wrote:

> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -u dbname > /some_directory/dbname.dump
>
> it wont work! It doesnt prompt me for username and passwd or
> anything, and still creates the dbname.dump file in the specified
> directory, but it has "0" size and I never return to prompt unless
> I hit Ctrl-C. If I leave off the redirect and have it print to
> STDOUT, no problems...

If you just type the username and password after that, you'll get the
output you want. Problem is that you're redirecting all output to a
file, and that includes the username and password prompts.

In 7.x versions, this appears to be fixed using the '-f' switch:

mymachine:~$ pg_dump -u [database] -f [somefile]

Andrew Sullivan Computer Services
<sullivana(at)bpl(dot)on(dot)ca> Burlington Public Library
+1 905 639 3611 x158 2331 New Street
Burlington, Ontario, Canada L7R 1J4