Re: pg_dump problem

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: pg_dump problem
Date: 2000-07-27 16:11:28
Lists: pgsql-general

At 09:53 27/07/00 -0500, Oakley wrote:
>Using postgres 7.0.2, I am trying to dump my database for archiving the
current setup and information that is in it. (surprise there huh?) and when
I try:

>/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -u dbname > /some_directory/dbname.dump
>
>it wont work! It doesnt prompt me for username and passwd or anything, and
still creates the dbname.dump file in the specified directory, but it has
"0" size and I never return to prompt unless I hit Ctrl-C. If I leave off
the redirect and have it print to STDOUT, no problems...

I think that pg_dump is sending the prompts to stdout, but I am not sure.
You can get it to work by typing:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -u dbname -f /some_directory/dbname.dump

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.C.N. 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \