The future of pgAdmin II...

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: The future of pgAdmin II...
Date: 2002-03-27 10:55:44
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Probably a little less dramatic than the subject implies, but I've now had a
chance to play with Visual Studio.NET and got to thinking about where we're
going with pgAdmin II.

I've performed a test upgrade of the pgAdmin II main project to VB.NET -
believe it or not, the upgrade report (attached) lists 413 issues post
upgrade!! Don't forget, that doesn't include pgSchema or any of the Plugins,
Exporters or Highlightbox.

In light of this, I propose that pgAdmin II should stay as a VB6
application, at least for the forseeable future.

For the longterm future (i.e. pgAdmin III), I think the way forward is C#.
I've been playing with this over the last few days and it seems fairly easy
to learn, and should easily do what would be required. The best bit is that
there should be an open-source compiler and class libraries available soon
(http://www.go-mono.com) which would enable us to target *nix platforms.

In the nearer future, it should be possible to build plugins & exporters for
pgAdmin II in C#, so I may well try this, and if successful, try porting
some of the existing ones across.

Anyway, I would welcome any comments *anyone* has about this.

Regards, Dave.

Attachment Content-Type Size
Upgrade Report.zip application/octet-stream 10.8 KB