Re: pgadmin problem

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "David Chapman" <luckydavid(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgadmin problem
Date: 2005-03-07 22:09:08
Lists: pgadmin-support

________________________________

From: pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of David Chapman
Sent: 08 March 2005 12:26
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [pgadmin-support] pgadmin problem

Good People,

I am slowly learning Postgresql, but are not having much luck
with pgadmin.

I can create a database, but are not able to add tables to the
new database. The overlaid page headed
"Properties|Columns|Constraints|Privileges|SQL" will not accept
characters from the keyboard. It appears to be in a read only mode -
which may be what the red circle with crossed through pencil indicates
on the elephant icon. I would not question it if I were not able to
create databases. The point is I don't know if I am on the right track,
and I don't know what to do about it.

Hi David,

It sounds like you are trying to type into the properties tabset which
is indeed read-only. If you expand the node in the treeview on the right
for your new database, you should see nodes for casts, schemas,
languages etc. Open up the schemas node, and you should see a public
schema. Open that and you'll see nodes for tables, views etc. You can
right click nodes at every level in the hierarchy, and will see
appropriate options on the popup menu - amongst those are options to
create new objects of applicable types, each of which will open an
object-specific dialog with which you can define what you want to
create.

HTH,

Regards Dave.