Re: pgadmin problem

From: "James Prichard" <james(dot)prichard(at)markit(dot)com>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "David Chapman" <luckydavid(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: pgadmin problem
Date: 2005-03-08 10:05:58
Lists: pgadmin-support

A postgresql server may contain multiple databases and each of these can
have its own set of user permissions. Just opening pgadminIII doesn't
authorize you to do anything - or even to see much!

The pgadminIII application must first connect to a database as a
particular user. E.g. the default database has a user called "postgres"
with a password which was set up at installation.

Connecting will allow you to expand the node and change properties
according to the users rights.

Under the hood pgadminIII is sending SQL statements to achieve the
changes even though the user sees a nice graphical UI.

See the "reverse engineered SQL" tab for the kind of syntax required.

In windows a right-click on a node brings up the relevant context-menu
while a left-click simply expands, contracts and selects nodes. I
assume there is an equivalent mouse operation on your system.