Re: Wrong charset?

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: jfo123(at)hotmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wrong charset?
Date: 2005-10-18 23:19:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On Oct 18, 2005, at 21:52 , jfo123(at)hotmail(dot)com wrote:

> Hi, all of a sudden (?) it seems like the stuff I am putting into a
> table is getting the wrong character coding. The definition of the db
> is like this:
> CREATE DATABASE my_sampledb
> WITH OWNER = postgres
> ENCODING = 'LATIN1'
> TABLESPACE = pg_default;
>
> Still I get crap out from it when I insert data which is encoded with
> the swedish characterset for instance (å, ä, ö). Can someone hint me
> towards a good thread that I have not found or simply what else to
> take
> a look at.

I believe the two things you should look at are whether the
characters you're interested in are defined in the character set
you're using and whether the client and server encodings match, e.g.
if you're using psql, that the psql encoding is also Latin-1 or can
is something that can be converted losslessly to Latin-1.

You don't mention where you are seeing the wrong characters: if it's
a web page, you'll also want to make sure you've defined the charset
(in a meta tag) for the web page and that it also matches your
encoding. Of course, if it's *not* a webpage you're looking at, this
last bit won't help ;)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com