Wrong charset?

From: jfo123(at)hotmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Wrong charset?
Date: 2005-10-18 12:52:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi, all of a sudden (?) it seems like the stuff I am putting into a
table is getting the wrong character coding. The definition of the db
is like this:
CREATE DATABASE my_sampledb
WITH OWNER = postgres
ENCODING = 'LATIN1'
TABLESPACE = pg_default;

Still I get crap out from it when I insert data which is encoded with
the swedish characterset for instance (å, ä, ö). Can someone hint me
towards a good thread that I have not found or simply what else to take
a look at.