Re: Wrong charset?

From: "Jonas Forsman" <jfo123(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wrong charset?
Date: 2005-10-19 07:43:14
Lists: pgsql-general

I am using PHP as the client. The result is not on a webpage but is
downloaded to a PC.
So, I should test the PHP-encoding first.

Thank you I will do that.

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: jfo123(at)hotmail(dot)com
CC: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Wrong charset?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:19:37 +0900

On Oct 18, 2005, at 21:52 , jfo123(at)hotmail(dot)com wrote:

>Hi, all of a sudden (?) it seems like the stuff I am putting into a
>table is getting the wrong character coding. The definition of the db
>is like this:
>CREATE DATABASE my_sampledb
> WITH OWNER = postgres
> ENCODING = 'LATIN1'
> TABLESPACE = pg_default;
>
>Still I get crap out from it when I insert data which is encoded with
>the swedish characterset for instance (å, ä, ö). Can someone hint me
>towards a good thread that I have not found or simply what else to take
>a look at.

I believe the two things you should look at are whether the characters
you're interested in are defined in the character set you're using and
whether the client and server encodings match, e.g. if you're using psql,
that the psql encoding is also Latin-1 or can is something that can be
converted losslessly to Latin-1.

You don't mention where you are seeing the wrong characters: if it's a web
page, you'll also want to make sure you've defined the charset (in a meta
tag) for the web page and that it also matches your encoding. Of course, if
it's *not* a webpage you're looking at, this last bit won't help ;)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

MSN Search: Snabbare, enklare http://search.msn.se/