Re: ZSON, PostgreSQL extension for compressing JSONB

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Postgresql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ZSON, PostgreSQL extension for compressing JSONB
Date: 2016-10-05 15:47:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4 October 2016 at 16:34, Aleksander Alekseev
<a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> Hello, Simon.
>
> Thanks for you interest to this project!
>
>> Will you be submitting this to core?
>
> I could align ZSON to PostgreSQL code style. I only need to run pgindent
> and write a few comments. Do you think community would be interested in
> adding it to /contrib/ ? I mean doesn't ZSON solve a bit too specific
> problem for this?

CREATE COMPRESSION DICTIONARY public.simple_dict (
WORDS = my_json_schema
);

Then use the dictionary by referencing the DictionaryId within the
datatype modifier, e.g. ZSON(357)

That way we can use this for TEXT, XML, JSON etc.. as ZTEXT, ZXML, ZJSON

So it seems like a generally useful thing to me.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/