Re: ZSON, PostgreSQL extension for compressing JSONB

From: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ZSON, PostgreSQL extension for compressing JSONB
Date: 2016-10-05 11:56:51
Lists: pgsql-general

> > I could align ZSON to PostgreSQL code style. I only need to run pgindent
> > and write a few comments. Do you think community would be interested in
> > adding it to /contrib/ ? I mean doesn't ZSON solve a bit too specific
> > problem for this?
>
> I find the references to pglz quite troubling, particularly by reading
> that this data type visibly uses its own compression logic.

ZSON just replaces frequently used strings to 16-bit codes. It also adds
PGLZ_HINT_SIZE (=32 by default, could be also 0) zero bytes in the
beginning to make it more likely that data will be compressed using PGLZ.
After all, who will use ZSON for small documents? Thats all.

Hope it explains references to PGLZ.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev