Re: 9.6 -> 10.0

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Date: 2016-04-07 06:54:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 7 April 2016 at 06:45, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net> wrote:

> On 4/6/16 5:30 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>
>> Deciding not to have a compatibility break release means that such
>> things will remain forever blocked or we slowly increase the amount of
>> old code we have to support all the multiple options needed, which will
>> affect bug rates and support costs.
>>

> I think that's a pretty hand-wavy statement until the problems have been
> documented, along with some thought and estimation of potential compatible
> work-arounds.

By hand-wavy, you mean not fully worked out? Yes, neither the pros and cons
have been worked out in detail, so opposing the idea is on the same shaky
ground. How then to proceed?

I fully support efforts to work out how to proceed based on analysis and
thought rather than just momentary opinion.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>