Re: On-demand running query plans using auto_explain and signals

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On-demand running query plans using auto_explain and signals
Date: 2015-11-30 23:04:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30 November 2015 at 22:27, Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>
wrote:

> I registered as reviewer on this, but after reading the whole thread for
> the second time, it's still not clear to me if the last two submitted
> patches (0001-Add-auto_explain.publish_plans.patch and
> 0002-Add-SHM-table-of-contents-to-the-explain-DSM.patch) are still
> needed reviews, since multiple refactoring ideas and objections have
> been raised since.

I looked into it more deeply and decided partial EXPLAINs aren't very
useful yet.

I've got some thoughts around that which I'll publish when I have more
time. I suggest this is a good idea, just needs some serious
committer-love, so we should bounce this for now.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>