Re: On-demand running query plans using auto_explain and signals

From: "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On-demand running query plans using auto_explain and signals
Date: 2015-12-01 09:34:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 12:04 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 30 November 2015 at 22:27, Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>
> wrote:
>

>> I registered as reviewer on this, but after reading the whole thread for
>> the second time, it's still not clear to me if the last two submitted
>> patches (0001-Add-auto_explain.publish_plans.patch and
>> 0002-Add-SHM-table-of-contents-to-the-explain-DSM.patch) are still
>> needed reviews, since multiple refactoring ideas and objections have
>> been raised since.
>>

> I looked into it more deeply and decided partial EXPLAINs aren't very
> useful yet.
>
> I've got some thoughts around that which I'll publish when I have more
> time. I suggest this is a good idea, just needs some serious
> committer-love, so we should bounce this for now.

I have the plans to make something from this on top of pg_stat_statements
and auto_explain, as I've mentioned last time. The next iteration will be
based on the two latest patches above, so it still makes sense to review
them.

As for EXPLAIN ANALYZE support, it will require changes to core, but this
can be done separately.

--
Alex