Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)

From: Prabhat Sahu <prabhat(dot)sahu(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)
Date: 2018-03-07 13:13:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

While testing this feature I found a crash on PG head with parallel create
index using pgbanch tables.

-- GUCs under postgres.conf
max_parallel_maintenance_workers = 16
max_parallel_workers = 16
max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 8
maintenance_work_mem = 8GB
max_wal_size = 4GB

./pgbench -i -s 500 -d postgres

postgres=# create index pgb_acc_idx3 on pgbench_accounts(aid,
abalance,filler);
WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the
current transaction and exit, because another server process exited
abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
repeat your command.
before or while processing the request.
!>

--