Re: Remove Windows crash dump support?

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove Windows crash dump support?
Date: 2015-12-24 02:18:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 22 December 2015 at 23:46, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > In which version(s) of Windows was this improvement added?

Vista and Server 2008 (original, not R2).

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb787181(v=vs.85).aspx

Win7 and Server 2003 are already irrelevant now, and will be absurdly so by
the time Pg 9.6 comes out.

The windows feature works better than the in-application crash dump. It can
limit the number of dumps, for one thing, and it doesn't require a sane and
intact stack to work.

> Even if it's all good in recent Windows, the impression I have is that an
> awful lot of people are still running older versions, so I'd be pretty
> hesitant to just drop the code.

Yeah, if it was new in Win2012 I'd agree, but it's been around since 2008.

> Also, AFAICS it's pretty self-contained
> and hence not much of a drag on development. Is there any positive reason
> to remove it?

Not really. It also does nothing by default, so it's pretty harmless and
mostly dead code.

I just thought it was worth bringing up that there's a better way to do it
now and nobody seems to use it anyway.