Re: Remove Windows crash dump support?

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove Windows crash dump support?
Date: 2015-12-28 06:22:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 22 December 2015 at 23:46, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
>> > In which version(s) of Windows was this improvement added?
>

> Vista and Server 2008 (original, not R2).
>

> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb787181(v=vs.85).aspx
>
> Win7 and Server 2003 are already irrelevant now, and will be absurdly so
> by the time Pg 9.6 comes out.

Sure, but I think still there could be developers out there or some users
of PostgreSQL who will still be using some such systems.

> The windows feature works better than the in-application crash dump.

Have you used this feature of Windows and does it display the call stack
or the information better than what PostgreSQL already has, if you have
any saved dump, that others can also see, that might be useful?
Unfortunately, I am still using Win7, so not able to test using this
new feature.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.