Re: Bogus documentation for bogus geometric operators

From: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bogus documentation for bogus geometric operators
Date: 2020-11-23 09:09:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> >> undocumented. Maybe instead of removing, change the text to be
> >> "Deprecated, use the equivalent XXX operator instead." Or we could
> >> add a footnote similar to what was there for a previous renaming:
>
> > The problem that this new <<| is equivalent to <^ only for points (To
> > recap: the source of a problem is the same name of <^ operator for
> points
> > and boxes with different meaning for these types).
>
> I don't think it's that hard to be clear; see proposed wording below.
>
> The other loose end is that I don't think we can take away the opclass
> entries for the old spellings, unless we're willing to visibly break
> people's queries by removing those operator names altogether. That
> doesn't seem like it'll fly when we haven't even deprecated the old
> names yet. So for now, we have to support both names in the opclasses.
> I extended the patch to do that.
>
> This version seems committable to me --- any thoughts?

The wording seems no problem to me. I looked into a patch and changes also
seem sensible but I can not apply this patch because of really many
rejects. Which commit should I use to apply it onto?

--
Best regards,
Pavel Borisov

Postgres Professional: http://postgrespro.com <http://www.postgrespro.com>