Re: deb repo doesn't have latest. or possible to update web page?

From: Roger Pack <rogerdpack2(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: deb repo doesn't have latest. or possible to update web page?
Date: 2020-08-20 20:38:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 11:23 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 7:04 PM Roger Pack <rogerdpack2(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> As a note I tried to use the deb repo today:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/debian/
>>
>> with an old box on Wheezy.
>> It only seems to have binaries up to postgres 10.
>>
>> Might be nice to make a note on the web page so people realize some
>> distro's aren't supported fully instead of (if they're like me)
>> wondering "why don't these instructions work? It says to run apt-get
>> install postgresql-12" ...
>

> The page lists which distros *are* supported. You can assume that anything *not* listed is unsupported.
>
> In the case of wheezy, whatever was the latest when it stopped being supported, is still there. Which I guess can cause some confusing if you just run the script without reading the note that's there. I'm unsure how to fix that though.

The confusion in my case is I wasn't sure why my distro was named,
tried the instructions and it...half worked.

Maybe something like this?

The PostgreSQL apt repository supports the currently supported stable
versions of Debian with the latest versions of Postgres:

xxx
xxx

Older versions of Debian may also be supported with older versions of Postgres.

Or get rid of the wheezy side altogether?

Cheers!