Re: PostGIS in a commercial project

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostGIS in a commercial project
Date: 2011-10-27 23:24:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout
<kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> wrote:

> I note in the OPs case they are relying on the customer to install
> PostGIS.  The GPL only applies to *redistribution* not usage.  So if
> you're not supplying your customers with PostGIS then the fact that
> it's GPL seems completely irrelevent.

Also as a note here, if linking implied derivation, then all software
that ran on Windows would be illegal to distribute without Microsoft's
permission...... Yet at least here in the US, jailbreaking an iPhone
is legal in the opinion of the Copyright Office because it allows fair
use of the device, namely installing apps that Apple hasn't otherwise
authorized. So I'd generally agree with the assessment above.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers