Re: PostGIS in a commercial project

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostGIS in a commercial project
Date: 2011-10-27 16:44:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 01:41:17PM +0200, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.
>
> I always have a hard time to understand the GPL especially the
> dividing line between "using", "linkin" and creating a derived work.

That because the GPL does not get to define those terms. They are
defined by copyright law, the licence does not get to choose what is a
derived work and what isn't. The FSF is of the opinion that anything
linked to a GPL library is a derived work, but that isn't true in all
cases (libedit vs libreadline is one of those borderline cases).

I note in the OPs case they are relying on the customer to install
PostGIS. The GPL only applies to *redistribution* not usage. So if
you're not supplying your customers with PostGIS then the fact that
it's GPL seems completely irrelevent.

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer