Re: Autovacuum on partitioned table

From: yuzuko <yuzukohosoya(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum on partitioned table
Date: 2020-04-07 02:34:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Alvaro,
Thank you for your comments.

> I'm confused about some error messages in the regression test when a
> column is mentioned twice, that changed from mentioning the table named
> in the vacuum command, to mentioning the first partition. Is that
> because you changed an lappend() to lcons()? I think you do this so
> that the counters accumulate for the topmost parent that will be
> processed at the end. I'm not sure I like that too much ... I think
> that needs more thought.

I couldn't come up with a solution that counts changes_since_analyze
precisely when analyzing partitioned trees by ANALYZE command based on
this approach (update all ancestor's changes_since_analyze according to the
number of analyzed tuples of leaf partitions).

So I tried another approach to run autovacuum on partitioned tables.
In this approach, all ancestors' changed_tuples are updated when commiting
transactions (at AtEOXact_PgStat) according to the number of inserted/updated/
deleted tuples of leaf partitions.

Attach the latest patch. What do you think?
--
Best regards,
Yuzuko Hosoya

Attachment Content-Type Size
v7_autovacuum_on_partitioned_table.patch application/octet-stream 15.1 KB