Re: User Interface for WAL usage data

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kirill Bychik <kirill(dot)bychik(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Subject: Re: User Interface for WAL usage data
Date: 2020-04-07 02:31:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 10:04 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:

> > > I am not sure what exactly is a difference but it is the records
> > > having full page images. Julien correct me if I am wrong.
>
> > Obviously previous complaints about the meaning and parsability of
> > "full page writes" should be addressed here for consistency.
>
> There's a couple places that say "full page image records" which I think is
> language you were trying to avoid. It's the number of pages, not the number of
> records, no ? I see explain and autovacuum say what I think is wanted, but
> these say the wrong thing? Find attached slightly larger patch.
>
> $ git grep 'image record'
> contrib/pg_stat_statements/pg_stat_statements.c: int64 wal_num_fpw; /* # of WAL full page image records generated */
> doc/src/sgml/ref/explain.sgml: number of records, number of full page image records and amount of WAL

Few comments:
1.
- int64 wal_num_fpw; /* # of WAL full page image records generated */
+ int64 wal_num_fpw; /* # of WAL full page images generated */

Let's change comment as " /* # of WAL full page writes generated */"
to be consistent with other places like instrument.h. Also, make a
similar change at other places if required.

2.
<entry>
- Total amount of WAL bytes generated by the statement
+ Total number of WAL bytes generated by the statement
</entry>

I feel the previous text was better as this field can give us the size
of WAL with which we can answer "how much WAL data is generated by a
particular statement?". Julien, do you have any thoughts on this?

Can we please post/discuss patches on the main thread [1]?

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB-hujrP8ZfUkvL5OYETipQwA%3De3n7oqHFU%3D4ZLxWS_Cza3kQQ%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.