Re: pgsql: Clarify use of temporary tables within partition trees

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Clarify use of temporary tables within partition trees
Date: 2018-07-03 00:59:33
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 3 July 2018 at 10:16, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2018 at 02:07:37PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> I'd rather keep an elog(ERROR) than completely remove the check.
>
> +1.

Attached

>> Also, for the record, I think the subject line of Michael's commit
>> message was pretty unclear about what it was actually doing.
>
> How would you formulate it? Perhaps the error message did not emphasize
> enough on the fast that it actually blocked a behavior, say "Block mix
> of temporary and permanent relations in partition trees" or such?

For me, reading the subject line of the commit I'd have expected a doc
change, or improved/new code comments.

This is really more "Disallow mixed temp/permanent partitioned hierarchies".

"Clarify" does not really involve a change of behaviour. It's an
explanation of what the behaviour is.

Attachment Content-Type Size
remove_dead_code_from_expand_partitioned_rtentry_v2.patch application/octet-stream 2.0 KB