Re: pgsql: Add wait event for fsync of WAL segments

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add wait event for fsync of WAL segments
Date: 2018-07-03 00:55:58
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 02, 2018 at 12:23:35PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I wonder if we should backpatch this one all the way to pg10. I don't
> see no reason not to.

ABI breakage (if that's the correct wording?). Simply cherry-picking
the patch from master to back-branches would cause extensions and
plugins already compiled with those versions to be confused by the
ordering of the enum WaitEventIO. Well, one simple solution is to
simply put the new event purposefully at the bottom of the list. If
that sounds right, I could do that on back-branches but I'd rather let
HEAD on it current state with the event set correctly ordered.
--
Michael