Re: Removing SSL renegotiation (Was: Should we back-patch SSL renegotiation fixes?)

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing SSL renegotiation (Was: Should we back-patch SSL renegotiation fixes?)
Date: 2015-06-26 19:36:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> On 2015-06-24 16:41:48 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> > I, by now, have come to a different conclusion. I think it's time to
> > entirely drop the renegotiation support.
>
> I think by now we essentially concluded that we should do that. What I'm
> not sure yet is how: Do we want to rip it out in master and just change
> the default in the backbranches, or do we want to rip it out in all
> branches and leave a faux guc in place in the back branches. I vote for
> the latter, but would be ok with both variants.

​3. ​Change the "default" and make the guc impotent - in the back
branches. Its minimally invasive and accomplishes the same user-facing
goal as "ripping it out".

​ Leaving dead code around in master seems undesirable so ripping it out
from there would still make sense. This does provide an easy fall-back in
the back-branches if we are accused of being overly parental.

David J.