Re: background sessions

From: Andrew Borodin <borodin(at)octonica(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: background sessions
Date: 2016-12-11 10:38:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

I'm planning to review this patch.
I have some questions, maybe answers could help me understand patch better.
1. As far as I can see, we connot use COPY FROM STDIN in bg session?
Since one of purposes is to orchestrate transactions, may be that
would be valuable.
2. From my point of view the interface of the feature is the strong
point here (compared to pg_background). But it does not help
programmer to follow good practice: bgworker is a valuable and limited
resource, may be we could start session with something like
TryBeginSession()? May be this violates some policies or idioms which
I'm not aware of.

Thank you for your work.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.