Re: pg_background contrib module proposal

From: Andrew Borodin <borodin(at)octonica(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_background contrib module proposal
Date: 2016-12-11 08:16:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It looks like this could be reworked as a client of Peter Eisentraut's
> background sessions code, which I think is also derived from
> pg_background:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/e1c2d331-ee6a-432d-e9f5-dcf85cffaf29@2ndquadrant.com
>
> That might be good, because then we wouldn't have to maintain two
> copies of the code.

Code looks quite different. I mean bgsession.c code and pg_background.c code.
Definitly, there is possibility to refactor both patches to have
common subset of base routines, they operate with similar concepts.
But to start, it's better to choose which patch goes first, or merge
them.

There is no possibility to make one on base of other since they both
require some work.
Personally, I like C code from pg_background more. It is far better
commented and has more exceptions info for user. But interface of
bgsessions is crispier. Finally, they solve different problems.

I signed up for review there too (in background sessions patch). I
hope I'll have enough resources to provide decent review for both in
december, before commitfest.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.