Re: pg_background contrib module proposal

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_background contrib module proposal
Date: 2016-12-09 13:00:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 10:46 PM, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I would like to take over pg_background patch and repost for
> discussion and review.
>
> Initially Robert Haas has share this for parallelism demonstration[1]
> and abandoned later with
> summary of open issue[2] with this pg_background patch need to be
> fixed, most of them seems to be
> addressed in core except handling of type exists without binary
> send/recv functions and documentation.
> I have added handling for types that don't have binary send/recv
> functions in the attach patch and will
> work on documentation at the end.
>
> One concern with this patch is code duplication with
> exec_simple_query(), we could
> consider Jim Nasby’s patch[3] to overcome this, but certainly we
> will end up by complicating
> exec_simple_query() to make pg_background happy.
>
> As discussed previously[1] pg_background is a contrib module that lets
> you launch
> arbitrary command in a background worker.

It looks like this could be reworked as a client of Peter Eisentraut's
background sessions code, which I think is also derived from
pg_background:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/e1c2d331-ee6a-432d-e9f5-dcf85cffaf29@2ndquadrant.com

That might be good, because then we wouldn't have to maintain two
copies of the code.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company