Re: Showing parallel status in \df+

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Masao Fujii <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Showing parallel status in \df+
Date: 2016-08-22 17:52:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 4:49 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > This feature shows source code for PL function when \df statement was
> used.
> > I am not too sure, if this functionality is necessary - but I don't see
> any
> > argument against. Sometimes it can be useful, mainly when we work with
> > overloaded functions.
>
> Wait, really? I thought Peter was complaining about the fact that it
> *removed* that from the display.
>
> He also complained about the fact that the subject line of this thread
> and what the patch actually does have diverged considerably, which I
> think is a fair complaint.

If I understand to purpose of this patch - it is compromise - PL source is
removed from table, but it is printed in result.

I am sure so there are low benefit from displaying the body of PL function
inside table. But I see some benefit on Tom's design. We cannot to simply
show source code of more functions. \sf doesn't support it. The source is
displayed on the end, so there is low impact on result.

Regards

Pavel