C++ Trigger Framework

From: Shmuel Kamensky <shmuelkamensky(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: C++ Trigger Framework
Date: 2022-02-22 14:02:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello all, this is my first time posting here (I first posted on the IRC
but didn't get any response), so let me know if there's a different
procedure for asking questions.

I'm interested in creating a Postgres extension that would enable
developers to write triggers in (modern) C++. Does anyone know if there is
already some sort of translation wrapper between the native Postgres C
API's and C++? Or if there's already a project that allows for writing
triggers in C++ with ease?
I see that https://github.com/clkao/plv8js-clkao/blob/master/plv8_type.cc
does implement an abstraction of sorts, but it's specific to v8 types and
is not genericized as a way of interacting with Postgres C API's from C++
from *an*y C++ code.

Can you imagine any potential technical challenges I may encounter (e.g.
massaging postgres' custom allocator to work with C++'s new and delete
operators, or unresolvable compiler incompatibilities)?

Thanks for any input :-)