Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: marcelo zen <mzen(at)itapua(dot)com(dot)uy>, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?
Date: 2020-02-12 17:32:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 at 08:28, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> marcelo zen escribió:
> > I'd rather have releases being made when the software is ready and not
> when
> > the calendar year mandates it.
> > It seems like a terrible idea.
>
> But we do actually release on calendar year. While it seems not
> unreasonable that we might fail to ship in time, that would likely lead
> to one month, two months of delay. Four months? I don't think anybody
> even imagines such a long delay. It would be seen as utter,
> unacceptable failure of our release team.

All said, I think there's some merit to avoiding a PostgreSQL 13 release,
because
there's enough superstition out there about the infamous "number 13."

Perhaps we could avert it by doing an "April Fool's Postgres 13" release?