Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: marcelo zen <mzen(at)itapua(dot)com(dot)uy>
Cc: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?
Date: 2020-02-11 23:07:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

marcelo zen escribió:
> I'd rather have releases being made when the software is ready and not when
> the calendar year mandates it.
> It seems like a terrible idea.

But we do actually release on calendar year. While it seems not
unreasonable that we might fail to ship in time, that would likely lead
to one month, two months of delay. Four months? I don't think anybody
even imagines such a long delay. It would be seen as utter,
unacceptable failure of our release team.

Others have commented in this thread that the idea seems ridiculous, and
I concur. But the reason is not what you say. The reason, I think, is
that for years we spent months each time debating what to name the next
release; and only recently, in version 10, we decided to change our
numbering scheme so that these pointless discussions are gone for good.
To think that just three years after that we're going to waste months
again discussing the same topic ...? Surely not.