Re: cutting down the TODO list thread

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cutting down the TODO list thread
Date: 2020-11-03 18:06:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:

> Ok, that's two votes for a separate page, and one for a new section on the
> same page, so it looks like it's a new page. That being the case, I would
> think it logical to move "features we don't want" there. As for the name,
> we should probably encompass both "won't fix" bugs and features not wanted.
> Maybe "past development ideas" or "not worth doing", but I'm open to better
> ideas. Once that's agreed upon, I'll make a new page and migrate the items
> over, minus the two that were mentioned upthread.

Hearing no preference, I've created

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Not_Worth_Doing

...with links between the two. I've moved over the items I suggested
upthread, minus the two where I heard feedback otherwise (prevent replay of
query cancel packets and improve WAL replay of CREATE TABLESPACE)

I have patches for documenting some behavior we won't fix in [1][2].

I was thinking of not having the next updates during commitfest, but it
could also be argued this is a type of review, and the things here will be
returned with feedback or rejected, in a way. Ultimately, it comes down to
"when time permits".

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAFBsxsGsBZsG%3DcLM0Op5HFb2Ks6SzJrOc_eRO_jcKSNuqFRKnQ%40mail.gmail.com
[2]