Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless)

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, PostgreSQL <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless)
Date: 2017-02-03 07:16:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 12:57 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:

> Hello Corey,
>
> Glad you like the barking. I'm happy to let the prompt issue rest for now,
>> we can always add it later.
>>
>> If we DID want it, however, I don't think it'll be hard to add a special
>> prompt (Thinking %T or %Y because they both look like branches, heh),
>>

> Ah!:-) T may stand for Tree, but Y looks a little bit more like branches.
> Maybe Y for Yew.

Well played. The %Y prompt can be a separate patch.

New patch. Highlights:
- rebased to master as of ten minutes ago
- Interactive barking on branching state changes, commands typed while in
inactive state
- Help text. New block in help text called "Conditionals"
- SendQuery calls in mainloop.c are all encapsulated in send_query() to
ensure the same if-active and if-interactive logic is used
- Exactly one perl TAP test, testing ON_ERROR_STOP. I predict more will be
needed, but I'm not sure what coverage is desired
- I also predict that my TAP test style is pathetic
- regression tests now have comments to explain purpose

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001.if_endif.v5.diff text/plain 25.7 KB