Re: Packages: Again

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Serge Rielau <serge(at)rielau(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>, Wolfgang Wilhelm <wolfgang20121964(at)yahoo(dot)de>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Packages: Again
Date: 2017-02-03 06:59:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 3 February 2017 at 14:27, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> This is the webinar that started this whole thread (well the original
> >> thread, not this weird MERGE/UPSERT stuff):
> >>
> >> https://www.commandprompt.com/blog/postgresql_for_oracle_people/
> >>
> >> Thank you to everyone that responded. You will see in this Webinar that
> at
> >> least from the Oracle people perspective, PostgreSQL is not an option
> unless
> >> it has packages.
> >>
> >> The other item that people bring up a few times is Oracle Forms but as
> >> that is actually external (although dependent) on Oracle, I don't see
> that
> >> as our responsibility.
> >

> > DB2 propose using schemas instead packages
> >
> > https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/
> techarticle/dm-0711zubiri/
> >
> > Now I am working with Oracle application - and I try to understand to
> Oracle
> > developers - often pattern is using "Oracle schema" as database - and
> then
> > the packages has sense. But there is not a mapping "Oracle schema" =
> > "PostgreSQL schema" - and packages is a redundant concept in Postgres
> (and
> > in all db, where the schema are like namaspace - MSSQL, DB2, MySQL).
>
> It sounds like we could benefit from a documentation section
> "packages" that describes how to get package-like behaviour (minus the
> pre-compiled updates) from Pg using schemas and, once added, secure
> variables.

It should be documented and presented (who is read a documentation? :-))

It is not only PostgreSQL issue, same issue has to have any other
databases. The Oracle architecture is very specific and often question is,
how to map Oracle database to PostgreSQL. A common questions - how schema
should be used, where schema should be used, where database should be used.
What is practical limit of size of PostgreSQL catalogue.