Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-08 10:06:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 4:00 AM, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
wrote:

> I am -1 on that, because I think that it is not good to break the simple
> rule
> that everything that is a psql command starts with a backslash.

We already have "help" command without slash and that is why I implement in
the same way help is implemented.
Also, I don't really break the rules, usual way still works, I just added
an alternative way.

It might reach out to newcomers, but it will confuse people who know psql.

For people already know psql nothing is changed, we will just have a hidden
way to exit.

I just think that if it don't change or break anything for usual psql user
but also help some new comers, then is good.

And remember, mysql client implement "\q" and "\quit" just to be more
friendly to psql users. Lets us be friendly too ;-)

Regards