Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-08 06:00:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Everaldo Canuto wrote:
> Some of us unfortunately have to work with multiple databases like Oracle or MySQL.
> Their respective clients mysql and sqlplus uses "quit" or "exit" to exit sql client.
>
> Oracle's sqlplus uses "quit" or "exit" and MySQL client can be exited using
> "quit" and "exit" but for compatibility with psql, it also supports "\q" and "\quit".
>
> Postgres psql already support "\q" and "\quit" but I think that could be cool
> if it supports "exit" and "quit", talking to friends I saw that I am the only
> that sometimes try to exit psql with "exit'.
> The attached patch implements this way to exit psql.

I am -1 on that, because I think that it is not good to break the simple rule
that everything that is a psql command starts with a backslash.

It might reach out to newcomers, but it will confuse people who know psql.

And frankly, anybody who has used sqlplus is used to suffering anyway.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe