Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-08 10:10:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 7:06 PM, Everaldo Canuto
<everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> For people already know psql nothing is changed, we will just have a hidden
> way to exit.
>
> I just think that if it don't change or break anything for usual psql user
> but also help some new comers, then is good.
>
> And remember, mysql client implement "\q" and "\quit" just to be more
> friendly to psql users. Lets us be friendly too ;-)

I think that you are going to need better reasons than just being more
friendly with other database clients by breaking a rule which is
around for 20 years. For one, it seems to me that your patch is
breaking multi-line SQL support with psql, as "quit" or "exit" are
legit SQL object names.
--
Michael