Re: What to name the current heap after pluggable storage / what to rename?

From: Arkhena <Arkhena(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com, a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: What to name the current heap after pluggable storage / what to rename?
Date: 2018-12-19 08:44:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm wondering where the choice of the name "heap" originally came from
> and what it refers to.

It seems to me that "heap" is an Oracle word (as explained here[1]).

> By default, a table is organized as a heap, which means that the database
places rows where they fit best rather than in a user-specified order.

[1]:
https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/18/tgsql/optimizer-access-paths.html#GUID-53905BCD-3EAD-4B44-8CCC-C442A80647E8

--
Adoptez l'éco-attitude
N'imprimez ce mail que si c'est vraiment nécessaire