Re: What to name the current heap after pluggable storage / what to rename?

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Arkhena(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: What to name the current heap after pluggable storage / what to rename?
Date: 2018-12-19 10:15:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 7:44 PM Arkhena <Arkhena(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I'm wondering where the choice of the name "heap" originally came from
>> and what it refers to.
>
> It seems to me that "heap" is an Oracle word (as explained here[1]).
>
> > By default, a table is organized as a heap, which means that the database places rows where they fit best rather than in a user-specified order.

No, it's more widely used than that, and we're using it with the
standard meaning AFAIK:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/indexes/heaps-tables-without-clustered-indexes?view=sql-server-2017
http://docs.actian.com/ingres/10.2/index.html#page/DatabaseAdmin/Heap_Storage_Structure.htm

It just means tuples stored in no particular order (as opposed to eg
btree tables, in systems that support those).

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com