Re: Add LSN along with offset to error messages reported for WAL file read/write/validate header failures

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, orlovmg(at)gmail(dot)com, alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org, nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add LSN along with offset to error messages reported for WAL file read/write/validate header failures
Date: 2022-12-20 07:57:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 5:40 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 09:01:02AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > Yeah, my mind was considering as well yesterday the addition of a note
> > in the docs about something among these lines, so fine by me.
>
> And applied that, after tweaking a few tiny things on a last lookup
> with a catversion bump. Note that the example has been moved at the
> bottom of the table for these functions, which is more consistent with
> the surroundings.

Hi!

Caught this thread late. To me, pg_dissect_walfile_name() is a really
strange name for a function. Grepping our I code I see the term dissect s
used somewhere inside the regex code and exactly zero instances elsewhere.
Which is why I definitely didn't recognize the term...

Wouldn't something like pg_split_walfile_name() be a lot more consistent
with the rest of our names?

//Magnus