Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-06-05 16:06:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 4:45 PM, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 6:59 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 06/03/2018 04:08 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
>>
>> My comments:

>> This is good point. There are those who would think that one has
>> performed an action that brings the project into disrepute and a similar
>> sized bias that suggests that in fact that isn't the case. This based on
>> the CoC would be judged by the CoC committee.
>>
>> It is my hope that PostgreSQL.Org -Core chooses members for that
>> committee that are exceedingly diverse otherwise it is just an echo chamber
>> for a single ideology and that will destroy this community.
>

> If I may suggest: The committee should be international as well and
> include people from around the world. The last thing we want is for it to
> be dominated by people from one particular cultural viewpoint.

It will be. This is the PostgreSQL *global* development group and project,
after all. Yes, there is definitely a slant in the project in general
towards the US side, as is true in many other such projects, but in general
we have decent coverage of other cultures and countries as well. We can't
cover them all on the committee (that would make for a gicantic
committee), but we can cover it with people who are used to communicating
and working with people from other areas as well, which makes for a better
understanding.

It won't be perfect in the first attempt, of course, but that one is
covered.

--
Magnus Hagander