Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: James Keener <jim(at)jimkeener(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org,Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey(at)proteus-tech(dot)com>,Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Jason Petersen <jason(at)citusdata(dot)com>,"Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>,Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>,"pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-06-05 16:06:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Do we need a code of conduct like this, or so we need a more general dispute resolution process? Something that is public and aimed at mediating disputes (even ones about bad conduct) and removing repeat offenders. To be honest, larger issues of harassment should be handled by the police.

A code of conduct is basically "be excellent to each other", but what that means is never going to be well codified in a document anyone can produce. It's why we have a judiciary in the "real world".

I don't participate too much here, but I've never see a group implement a code of conduct go well. I'm a fairly socially liberal person, but have been told in one group that my views as a cis, hetero, white, middle class make aren't welcome in discussions about getting more women or minorities to participate. Specifically there was a discussion in that group about how since women often bare the burden of child care, even when both partners work, that side projects as a hiring criteria are sexist. I mentioned that as an involved father I also find little time to work on side projects and that the issue is more about those with kids than specifically women and was essentially run out of the group.

Another time, same group, someone was discussing guns, and someone else said that this kind of discussion is why women don't participate much. I mentioned that I know more women who own guns, hunt, and target shoot than I do men who do that. I was again told to shut up and banded for a few days when I pressed as to why a not-male-centric discussion was being censored in the name of sexism and fairness.

How will this CoC handle these situation? I obviously offended people and had no intention of doing so. I was also told that the moderators/CoC commitee would act fairly, and I obviously believe I was mistreated by them. Forgive me for not believing in the benevolence of the governors.

Jim