Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-06-05 17:55:51
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 4:45 PM, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > If I may suggest: The committee should be international as well and
> > include people from around the world. The last thing we want is for it to
> > be dominated by people from one particular cultural viewpoint.
>
> It will be. This is the PostgreSQL *global* development group and project,
> after all. Yes, there is definitely a slant in the project in general
> towards the US side, as is true in many other such projects, but in general
> we have decent coverage of other cultures and countries as well. We can't
> cover them all on the committee (that would make for a gicantic
> committee), but we can cover it with people who are used to communicating
> and working with people from other areas as well, which makes for a better
> understanding.
>
> It won't be perfect in the first attempt, of course, but that one is
> covered.

This drives to a point which I was thinking about also- what is needed
on the committee are people who are worldly to the point of
understanding that there are different cultures and viewpoints, and
knowing when and how to ask during an investigation to get an
understanding of if the issue is one of cultural differences (leading
potentially to education and not to reprimand, as discussed in the CoC),
something else, or perhaps both.

The CoC committee doesn't need to be comprimised of individuals from
every culture to which the community extends, as that quickly becomes
untenable.

I'm confident that the Core team will work to ensure that the initial
committee is comprised of such individuals and that both Core and the
subsequent CoC committees will work to maintain that.

Thanks!

Stephen