Re: Online enabling of checksums

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Online enabling of checksums
Date: 2018-04-06 09:25:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 11:41 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2018-04-05 23:32:19 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 11:23 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
> wrote:
> > > Is there any sort of locking that guarantees that worker processes see
> > > an up2date value of
> > > DataChecksumsNeedWrite()/ControlFile->data_checksum_version? Afaict
> > > there's not. So you can afaict end up with checksums being computed by
> > > the worker, but concurrent writes missing them. The window is going to
> > > be at most one missed checksum per process (as the unlocking of the
> page
> > > is a barrier) and is probably not easy to hit, but that's dangerous
> > > enough.
> > >

> > So just to be clear of the case you're worried about. It's basically:
> > Session #1 - sets checksums to inprogress
> > Session #1 - starts dynamic background worker ("launcher")
> > Launcher reads and enumerates pg_database
> > Launcher starts worker in first database
> > Worker processes first block of data in database
> > And at this point, Session #2 has still not seen the "checksums
> inprogress"
> > flag and continues to write without checksums?
>
> Yes. I think there are some variations of that, but yes, that's pretty
> much it.
>

> > That seems like quite a long time to me -- is that really a problem?
>
> We don't generally build locking models that are only correct based on
> likelihood. Especially not without a lengthy comment explaining that
> analysis.

Oh, that's not my intention either -- I just wanted to make sure I was
thinking about the same issue you were.

Since you know a lot more about that type of interlocks than I do :) We
already wait for all running transactions to finish before we start doing
anything. Obviously transactions != buffer writes (and we have things like
the checkpointer/bgwriter to consider). Is there something else that we
could safely just *wait* for? I have no problem whatsoever if this is a
long wait (given the total time). I mean to the point of "what if we just
stick a sleep(10) in there" level waiting.

Or can that somehow be cleanly solved using some of the new atomic
operators? Or is that likely to cause the same kind of overhead as throwing
a barrier in there?

--
Magnus Hagander