Re: [HACKERS] MERGE SQL Statement for PG11

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] MERGE SQL Statement for PG11
Date: 2018-04-06 09:35:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5 April 2018 at 21:00, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> And if somebody cleans it up Simon will
> complain that things are needlessly being destabilized (hello xlog.c
> with it's 1000+ LOC functions).

Taking this comment as a special point... with other points addressed
separately.

...If anybody wants to know what I think they can just ask...

There are various parts of the code that don't have full test
coverage. Changing things there is more dangerous and if its being
done for no reason then that is risk for little reward. That doesn't
block it, but it does make me think that people could spend their time
better - and issue that concerns me also.

But that certainly doesn't apply to parts of the code like this where
we have full test coverage.

It may not even apply to recovery now we have the ability to check in
real-time the results of recovery and replication.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/