Re: [WIP] RE: DECLARE STATEMENT setting up a connection in ECPG

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Ideriha, Takeshi" <ideriha(dot)takeshi(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [WIP] RE: DECLARE STATEMENT setting up a connection in ECPG
Date: 2017-01-18 05:41:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Ideriha, Takeshi
<ideriha(dot)takeshi(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi
> Thank you for looking over my patch.
>
>> Thank you. Would it be possible for you to re-create the patch without the
>> white-space changes?
>
> I'm sorry for adding redundant white-spaces.
> Attached is a correct version.
>
>> I noticed that the docs say the statement is a PostgreSQL addon.
>> However, I think other databases do have the same statement, or don't they?
>
> Yes, other databases such as Oracle and DB2 also have the same statement.
> I fixed docs and mentioned the above databases in the compatibility section.
>
> But I'm not sure whether I should mention the other databases explicitly
> because the other command docs don't mention Oracle or so explicitly in compatibility section
> as long as I read.

Idehira-san, this is a very intrusive patch... It really needs a
specific reviewer to begin with, but really it would be nice if you
could review someone else's patch, with a difficulty rather equivalent
to what we have here.

By the way, I have been able to crash your patch when running the
regression tests:
(lldb) bt
* thread #1: tid = 0x0000, 0x00007fff89a828b0
libsystem_platform.dylib`_platform_strcmp + 176, stop reason = signal
SIGSTOP
* frame #0: 0x00007fff89a828b0 libsystem_platform.dylib`_platform_strcmp + 176
frame #1: 0x000000010c835bc3
libecpg.6.dylib`ecpg_release_declared_statement(connection_name="con3")
+ 83 at prepare.c:740
frame #2: 0x000000010c838103
libecpg.6.dylib`ECPGdisconnect(lineno=81, connection_name="ALL") + 179
at connect.c:697
frame #3: 0x000000010c811922 declare`main(argc=1,
argv=0x00007fff533ee320) + 434 at declare.pgc:81
frame #4: 0x00007fff932345ad libdyld.dylib`start + 1

You also need to add in src/interfaces/ecpg/test/sql/.gitignore new
entries related to the files you are adding and that get generated.
--
Michael