Re: Is it time to kill support for very old servers?

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Is it time to kill support for very old servers?
Date: 2017-10-11 01:09:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>> Coverage of the relevant files is a good bit higher afterwards. Although
>> our libpq coverage is generally pretty damn awful.
>
> Any opinions on this? Obviously this needs some cleanup, but I'd like to
> know whether we've concensus on adding a connection option for this goal
> before investing more time into this.
>
> A nearby thread [1] whacks around some the v2 code, which triggered me
> to look into this. I obviously can just use thiese patches to test those
> patches during development, but it seems better to keep coverage.

FWIW, I think that moving forward with such a possibility is a good
thing, including having a connection parameter. This would pay in the
long term if a new protocol version is added. 0001 should document the
new parameter.

+ if (conn->forced_protocol_version != NULL)
+ {
+ conn->pversion = atoi(conn->forced_protocol_version);
+ }
This should check for strlen > 0 as well.
--
Michael